Warren Missionary Baptist Church
This church was first organized under the name of Harmony Baptist in August,1842, by Elders Jeremiah Taylor and A. C. Broaddus. Rev. Taylor was the first pastor and Wm. T. Keith the first regular clerk. Among the first members were:
|A. W. Johnson||Andrew B. Hawkins||Edward Searcy|
|Judith P. Searcy||Wm. T. Keith||Eliza Hawkins|
|Philomelia Johnson||Mary Reno||W. H. Pepper|
|W. F. G. Lonsdale||Ann T. Wallace||Jane Ann Couch|
|Rebeeca Ann Corder||H. A. Johnson||Francis Evans|
|Nancy Jane Turner||Rachel Sands||Hannah Day|
|Sarah Ann Cobbs||M. H. Couch||Elvira Couch|
|Delilah Johnson||Joseph Sands||Nancy Ann Sands|
|Marsena Maxey||Mary Vanlandingham||Sarah Pepper|
|Thomas Day||Sarah S . Reed||Emeline Toliver|
|Milton Crockett||Elizabeth Pepper||Robert Lewis|
|Henry M. Nicol||Eliza Nicol||Charlotte Glenn|
|J. Q. Christian|
The congregation first occupied a church in conjunction with the Old School Presbyterians. The first church house was built in the fall of 1877. It is a frame building, 3O x 4O, seating comfortably 300 people, and cost about $950. It was dedicated the same fall by Rev. W. Pope Yeaman, D. D., then of St. Louis,now of Columbia, Mo. The present membership is 77. B. P. Hixon is the pastor;Mr. J. Christian is and has been for 30 years the clerk.
Ebenezer Baptist Church
The congregation of the Ebenezer Baptist church was first organized in December, 1843. The original members were
|William P. Ramy||Catherine Rainy||William Watkins|
|Alexander T. Stevenson||Andrew Parker||John Dantice|
|Sallie Wood||Elizabeth Whoberry||Susan Martin|
|Martha Carter||Sallie Whoberry||Julian Woolery|
The first church building was erected in 1852-3. It is a brick and cost$1,500. Elder James F. Smith served as pastor from January, 1844, to March,1850; Elder Robert Kaylor from 1850 to 1866; Elder William Cleveland from 1866 to 1867. Elder Robert Kaylor from 1867 to 1868; Elder William Cleveland from 1866-1867; Elder Robert Kaylor from 1867-1868; Elder D. V. Inlow from 1868-1874; Elder C. S. Taylor from 1874-1876; Elder A. Rhodes from 1876-1879; Elder C. S.Taylor from 1879-1880, and Elder Thomas Smoot, the present pastor, has served the church since 1880. Them number of present membership is 192.
M. E. Church South
The Mt. Vernon church building was erected in 1850, on section 15, township 57, range 7. it is one of the stations in the Hydesburg circuit. The original members of this church were J. A. Sharp and wife, Jas. Clark and wife, Jno. Randall and wife. J. F. Cassady and wife, W. P. Jackson and wife, Samuel Griffith and Wife, E. H. Griffith and wife, S. S. Williams and wife, J. B.Randall, Ann Randall, A. Randall, W. L. Robinson and wife, Jno. Stephens, Jno. Taylor, W. Drescher and wife, Mrs. G. Drescher, Jesse Payne and wife and Elisha Tuley and wife.
Unfortunately no fuller or more complete histories of the churches of this township can be given, owing to a failure on the part of certain persons to furnish certain promised information.