The Mt. Vernon church building was erected in 1850, on section 15, township 57, range 7. it is one of the stations in the Hydesburg circuit. The original members of this church were J. A. Sharp and wife, Jas. Clark and wife, Jno. Randall and wife. J. F. Cassady and wife, W. P. Jackson and wife, Samuel Griffith and Wife, E. H. Griffith and wife, S. S. Williams and wife, J. B. Randall, Ann Randall, A. Randall, W. L. Robinson and wife, Jno. Stephens, Jno. Taylor, W. Drescher and wife, Mrs. G. Drescher, Jesse Payne and wife and Elisha Tuley and wife.
Unfortunately no fuller or more complete histories of the churches of this township can be given, owing to a failure on the part of certain persons to furnish certain promised information.