This important organization had its origin in Hannibal in the year 1838. Its first elders were David T. Morton, Wm. Tattershall, and A. S. Robards. The names of the original nembers could not be obtained. The first church building was erected in 1848. About the year 1878 the present building was purchased of the Second Presbyterian organization. This building with grounds and furnishing is estimated worth $8,000. The pastors have been Revs. Jacob Creath, D. T. Morton, W. Hatch, L. B. Wilkes, A. P. Aten, J. R. Lucas, Clayton Keith, H. H. Haley, W. G. Sweeney, E. B. Challoner, C. B. Edgar, and J. H. Hardin, the present pastor. This congregation is one of the oldest of the Christian denomination in the State. It also has a Sabbath school that numbers 160. The financial condition of the church is satisfactory; it pays its bills promptly, and obeys the Pauline injunction, to “owe no man anything.” The present membership is 260, having been increased about 90 in the past year. The organization is united, peaceful, and growing
Source: R. I. Holcombe. History of Marion County, Missouri: Written and Compiled from the Most Authentic Official and Private Sources : Including a History of Its Townships, Towns, and Villages, Together with a Condensed History of Missouri, the City of St. Louis, a Reliable and Detailed History of Marion County, Its Pioneer Record, War History, Resources, Biographical Sketches and Portraits of Prominent Citizens : General and Local Statistics of Great Value, and a Large Amount of Legal and Miscellaneous Matter, Incidents and Reminiscences, Grave, Tragic and Humorous. St. Louis : E. F. Perkins, 1884.
This important organization had its origin in Hannibal in the year 1848. Its first elders were David T. Morton, Wm. Tartershel and A. S. Robards. Its present pastor is Rev. E. B. Challener who has endeered himself to the church and the community by his faith work. The present elders are J. H. McVeigh, Dr. C. F. Clayton and Robt. Bridgford. They have within the past year, purchased and handsomely fitted up the church building at corner of 5th and Church streets, formerly used by the Second Presbyterian organization. This building with grounds and furnishing is estimated worth $8,000. The present church membership is 250. Scholars in Sundays school 120; teachers 15; Superintendent J. H. McVeigh; Assistant Superintendent W. R. Gannaway. the main audience room will comfortably seat 400 persons.