When Mr. Samuel Withers first came to Miller Township, only a few settlers were here — Webb James Fullilove, Samuel Lefever, John M. Turner, Cyrus Ritchie, Major Asa James, Robert Smarr, Richard Gentry, and later Stephen Glascock.
Mr. Ritchie built a woolen mill and also a grist mill. After the railroad was built in 1859, toward the west, this settlement became a little village with two blacksmith shops, stores, a shipping point for livestock, and a telephone exchange with Mrs. Sallie Hamilton in charge. Dr. C. E. Vandiver was the physician. The fine old homes of the first settlers are still in use, and as substantial as when built. Most of them are occupied by descendants of the original owners.
In 1959, after one hundred years of use, the railroad track was removed. The shops and stores are closed, and you just pass through on the way to the concrete highways.
Providence Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1849. The present pastor is the Rev. N. S. Dunham.